Rhinoplasty is a procedure which uses plastic surgery to bring about a change in the shape and size of the nose. If the person suffers from any congenital problems related to the nose or has some breathing problems due to injuries, then also rhinoplasty comes in handy. Before going for the nose job surgery, it is imperative that you get acquainted with certain facts. We are going to do this little bit for you.
Who is the Ideal Candidate?
This is the first step in availing the procedure. One must be sure that he is the ideal candidate for rhinoplasty. It is best to discuss the goals and outcomes with your surgeon before you make your decision, the candidates are evaluated by the surgeon and a discussion regarding the goals and the expected results is held. The patient should have realistic expectations. That said and done, the candidates should be able to willingly comply with the instruction before and after the surgery.
Pre-surgical Rhinoplasty Instructions
The patients must be committed to following the instructions before and after the surgery. Following them will yield the best results for rhinoplasty. The pre-surgical instructions include –
- No consumption of ibuprofen, aspirin, and vitamin E for a period of 14 days before the rhinoplasty surgery.
- It is important that you designate someone the duty of ferrying you to and from the surgical appointment.
- Ensure that you have someone to care for you for the first few days after the surgery.
- Also, make sure that you don’t eat or drink anything after midnight if you are going to have surgery the next night.
- You will have to be careful about taking all the prescribed medicines before the surgery happens.
- This one is for smokers. No smoking 14 days prior to the surgery as it increases the chances of complications during and after the surgery.
- One should wear clothing which can be fastened instead of being pulled over the head.
- Avoid wearing any kind of makeup or nail paint on the day of the surgery.
- Refrain from wearing jewelry on the surgery day.
- Buying a stock of all medicines like ibuprofen, saline nasal spray, cotton swabs, cold compress and any other item suggested by the doctor.
It is best to get in touch with the surgeon and understand the whole technique. This will help him in understanding what precautions he needs to take for the surgery and why.